Sacred Heart Parish is a congregation of the Roman Catholic tradition in the Diocese of Madison, WI. We are located in Reedsburg, Wisconsin, a city of approximately 9000 people in Sauk County.
Sacred Heart Parish was originally organized on July 19, 1878. The first Catholic church in Reedsburg was a frame structure on the corner of Fourth and Locust Streets. This building burned down on February 28, 1902. A second church built of brick was dedicated on May 6, 1903. Longtime pastor, Fr. Eugene Kiernan, first arrived in Reedsburg as pastor in 1911. A school was built on Oak Street and opened for use in September of 1955. The third and current church was built near the school on Willow Street to accommodate the growing congregation. It is fan-shaped and seats approximately 450. It is constructed of Minnesota limestone, wood and faceted glass. This church was first used on June 29, 1969 and was dedicated by Bishop Cletus F. O’Donnell on October 26 of that year.
The 1969 church on North Willow Street is the one still currently being used for all liturgies. The parish now serves approximately 950 families. The school suffered a fire in 2003, but was restored and ready for use in the fall of that same year. What had been the priest’s rectory has been converted into offices for the staff, and what had been the convent for the sisters has been converted into the Mazzuchelli Center, which houses our Pre-School and Kindergarten. Fr. David Carrano is the current pastor and has replaced Fr. Thomas Monaghan, who had been in this position from 2000 to 2014. The Parish is also served by two Deacons and several laypeople on the parish staff. Our school teachers are guided under the leadership of Principal Karen Marklein. The parish is blessed with many, many volunteers who serve in many capacities: Eucharistic Ministers, Ushers, Greeters, Choir Singers, Musicians, Readers, Sacristy Cleaners, Pastoral Council and other committees, Religious Education Teachers, Pastoral Ministers, and on and on! The volunteers and the paid staff all exhibit the love of Christ and take that love to the community at large with projects such as the Mobile Food Pantry, Reedsburg Area Ministerial Association, Ozanam House, St. Vincent's, and on and on!
Our 125th Anniversary Book included a lot of interesting information including detailed history and sections with pictures and names of various items in the church, as well as the story behind our faceted glass windows. The entire book has been placed on the website, but was broken into sections to make it easier to load. The document sizes are listed with the links below and, depending on your connection speed, could take quite a while to load. But we think you will find the information interesting and worthwhile. Enjoy!